Hi All,

Loads of snow here, and having already resued daughter in her car from being
pushed in to a ditch by some too-fast, careless nutcase , I am not stirring
from the house today, so will probably put pen to paper - or fingers to
keyboard - rather more than you all want!   (And to add insult to almost
injury, he didn't even stop to help, or ask if she was OK!)   Its amazing
how just about, nearly two inches of snow can cause such havoc in this
unprepared county!    We lived in Lancashire, In the North-west of the UK,
where snow was *proper* snow - deep and lush - I can remember that, among
other times!, the day Claire started at Nursery scool, I carried her under
one arm, and her brother under the other to the school, as the snow was
above my knees, and most uncomfortably, over the tops of my wellies, - but
the work/school/general life didn't come to a standstill

However, I digress!    I must admit, when I first started to make lace in
the dim and distand past, we were taught to prick thro' the pattern, onto
card and then fill in all the whizzy bits with Indian ink.   However, as I
*very* soon found out, these markings cannot be erased, so I very soon -
much to the disgust of my teacher! - decided to photocopy the pattern, stick
it onto the regulation glazed card, then cover the lot with the blue film.
Which - I still do!   I still feel that the success or otherwise of a piece
of lace relies very heavily on the correct pricking, and card is a far
firmer base than several layers of Christmas cards, or the cereal packet,
and at least by copying the pattern, one doesn't have to waste umpteen
pieces of card just to get the ink markings correct!    I still tell my
pupils how I was taught, and like them to do a couple of prickings in the
*traditional* way, but then they can choose whether to use that, my way, or
any other way they come up with!

Carol - in a very pretty, but cold and white Suffolk UK.

Subject: [lace] Re: Pricking card