On Apr 4, 2005, at 13:36, Carol Adkinson wrote:

I am still of the opinion that it is the winding of the bobbins that
is at fault!

You may be right about that; I've been wondering myself...

Going by my own experience, I'd agree with Alice on the subject of "winding neatly"; being overly neat seems to be a hindrance rather than help half of the time. But winding *tautly*, under tension, does seem to make a difference. It's essential for metallic thread (which stretches, so you want to eliminate as much sag as possible while winding), but doesn't hurt with cotton and linen and silk, either. The thread needs to be wound *tightly* (and she's not - I hope - winding overhand, but rolling the bobbin as she should?) and a winder might help her there (though I find that, for the tension I need for metallics, I have to wind by hand).

Another thing to watch for - and someone else has mentioned it already - is *where* the thread is wound. If one's making yardage, obviously, there's no escape from winding up and down the entire length of the neck, to maximise the neck's capacity. But, if you need only a "little bit" (say a couple of yards or less), it's better to wind all of it on the upper half of the neck, as close to the head as you can. For some reason, the thread that feeds in from the lower part of the neck has a greater tendency to act "squirelly". Because of that, I also wind very neatly when winding down the neck, but try to get back up in 3-5 (spiral) turns. Those few turns make the next layer (going down the neck and "neat" again) *look* ugly, but they seem to let me "go over the mined ground lightly". Don't know *why*, so don't ask me :)

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/