Greetings,

Still being fairly new to lace making (mostly because I don't have lots of time,) I've done lots of experimenting since my post about hitches.

I began winding my bobbins with the return row wound at an angle. Tamara and Alice hit it right on, anyway that worked for me. I stopped the unwinding by hitching on the thread, but it wasn't until I wound the bobbins neatly going from the head to the end, then angling back that the "dig in" stopped. However, when the bobbin was running low on thread, that angle caused unwinding, so winding neatly for the first several rows will help that as Tamara (I think) mentioned.

I haven't tried the double hitch yet, that's for the next time I wind bobbins. I did try the put my finger out thing, and my hitch held much better. So, I was doing the hitch backwards for the way the bobbin was wound.

Also, experimentation showed that contrary to what I thought was logical thinking, winding small amounts of thread at the end of the bobbin instead of at the top, made for lots of untwisting. The bobbin just seemed to be totally out of control as well - not balanced at all. It actually wanted to sort of spin weirdly in the opposite direction of the twist.

So, nothing really new, just verification by experimentation.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this discussion. I know I'll be enjoying working at my pillows now that I don't have to fight with my poor senseless bobbins.

I can't believe how attached I've become to some of my bobbins. When I can't find one, it's like losing sight of your child in a crowd! GBG

Many thanks again to you experienced folks who are so generous about helping everyone else!

Oh, in keeping with the tradition of passing it on, the international squares that Tamara sent me to try are on their way to Ann Arbor, MI. Lots of miles on those bobbins!

Mary