"When I wind the bobbins for her, they are better
behaved but, as soon as she has done some reverse
lace, and rewound the bobbins, the problem comes back.
  Maybe I ought to let her use the 'class bobbin
winder' and see if it does in fact make a difference.
I don't think it is the left-handed versus
right-handed scenario - but anything is possible, I
suppose!"

"she's not - I hope - winding overhand, but rolling
the bobbin as she should and a winder might help her
there"

I strongly suspect Tamara has once again put her
finger on the problem here - the lady must be winding
on the thread, not turning the bobbin, putting extra
twists on the thread, making it springier and so
throwing its hitch.  Obviously, she can't use the
winder to shorten a thread lengthened by gniecal, so
she may have to follow your suggestions rather than
know better than teacher!  You did mention she can't
see the point of keeping the threads the same length.
A tidy desk may be the symptom of an empty mind, but a
neat lace pillow is a pleasure to work on as well as
to see!  Perhaps winding ribbon on a reel and reeling
ribbon may convince?

[EMAIL PROTECTED], who has just completed his 7
with 7 threads for the Lace Guild AGM this weekend.