On Apr 5, 2005, at 20:52, Aurelia Loveman wrote:
Dears... it's not the lacers that are old, it's the lace. You know: old lace.

And Jane Viking-Swanson ditto:
Hi Jacquie and All, It's "Old Lace" not old lacemakers <G>.

That might have been the *intention*, but you-know-what is paved with good ones... :) If "old lace" is meant, why not say so? Like Jacquie, I too read it as "old lacemakers", especially with so many people saying "lacers" (personally, not my favourite term <g>) instead of "lacemakers".

Besides, even if one *did* see the name in terms of old *lace* (rather than old *lacemakers*), or the name was changed to represent the meaning better, it would still be inaccurate. Might have been OK 52 yrs ago, when the organisation was started, and when most of the membership concentrated on studying, reproducing and collecting old lace. But that's not true anymore; a lot of us - Aurelia and Jane included - study the old lace techniques in order to push them further, into new shapes. So, it's mosly *new* lace that you see in the Bulletin, and even in the study box an occasional modern piece makes an appearance.

By labelling ourselves - voluntarily - as "old lacers", we're sawing the branch we're sitting on, if we want to get young people interested in perpetuating the craft/art; the label only adds to their preconceived ideas of lacemaking as something that grannies *used* to do...

IMO.
--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/