Hi Sue -

In my experience (limited, but successful...) and from my understanding of
Het Lassen (I have the book...), one of the essential "tricks" is to devise
a path for the join which avoids cloth stitch areas.  This is why your join
sometimes goes in a meandering fashion through one or two repeats.

The best "routes" for the join are in areas where pairs are worked briefly
and then parted, as in grounds.  The groundwork provided the opportunity to
join one layer to another in the least visible manner, provided you use a
thread that is a great deal smaller than the thread you used for the lace
itself.

Assuming that "Het Lassen" is still available, (as well as the
translation...) I recommend it as the best way to approach this task.  It
is clearly written (though not "simple"), and with some concentration, and
practice, the results can be very pleasing.  If this is NOT still
available, it would be a wonderful opportunity for a dedicated lace
organization to jump through the hoops to have it reprinted "for the
greater good"...

Clay

Clay Blackwell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]