I find this "bobbin"rather intriguing.

It seems quite possible that this was a bobbin but it is broken- sort of half way down- the shaft.

It has the Hallmarks of coming from the E P Rose factory.

One would really need to see it to make up your mind if it was once a bobbin or just as likely, a paper knife handle.

There are also real indications of the "porthole" decoration of Springetts Bobbin maker number one.

Now for the guessing game.......

As I have never heard of a bobbin having a Stanhope inserted, I would go for it being a broken paperknife handle.

What a pity, I would have loved it to be a bobbin.

Jean and Brian from Cooranbong, Australia