To add to the advise given.  Also weight your suitcase before you start
packing.  I have a suitcase which is large enough to put my frame in it when I
travel, but it is heavy and sturdy.  I have been given a "Heavy" label by 3
airlines when the bags are going through the checking. This includes,
Northwest, British Midland and  Delta.  So far I have not exceeded the weight
limit, but the bag was also not packed as full as it could have been.  I may
have to stop buying books on the way home, or not take classes if I can't have
one suitcase for my supplies and a second for clothes.

This situation is a pain, but I believe the airlines may now be receivng more
health claims from handlers and are cracking down on our heavy bags.  Just a
note, I regularily lift my bag into the car going to and from the airport.  So,
as a woman, what does this mean for 'the weaker sex'.

Dianne