In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Carol Adkinson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>Hi Helen and Spiders,
>
>I used to be a Guide Captain, running a very successful group of girls in
>Hertfordshire but, just before I finshed, the Bobbin Lace proficiency badge
>was discontinued.

Rooting through some things a week or so ago, I remembered someone
saying something about this recently, and the date given for the badge's
decline was definitely within the time that I was a Guide Guider.
(1974-1994) However, although I'm sure somewhere I have a copy of the
old Guide handbook (when the badges were included in it) I can't put my
hand on it at the moment. From the 1988 version, through to the one that
was current when I left guiding in 1994, the only mention of lace was
the clause in the Craft Badge - "make a piece of lace". I gather that
there have been major changes since 1994, and I'm not sure if guides
still do badges - if so, and if the Craft Badge still exists, do we have
a current Guider in the UK who can tell us whether the clause is still
there?

As for how I got into lacemaking in the first place - it was an option
given on a (Staffordshire) County Guiders' Training Day - at the Edward
Orme School in Newcastle-under-Lyme - in March, 1984 - I got home full
of enthusiasm, "can I have a pillow for my birthday?". DH bought me the
pillow (rectangular, straw, with my current project on at the moment!)
but within a month or so I couldn't use it - our eldest daughter was
born that October. It was then five years before I saw a "lacemaking for
beginners" class at the local college, with a crèche able to take my
(then) two year old younger daughter (at 18 months she was jealous of
her big sister being able to go to playgroup - they had to be 3 for
that) and the rest, as they say, is history. I went into lace with the
aim of having something new to pass on to guides - I never dreamt at the
time that I would eventually be teaching adults!
--
Jane Partridge