For interest's sake, I've just dug out my guide handbook from 1968, and found the badge requirements:

LACE-MAKER (Lace)

1 Name and describe four different kinds of lace, e.g. torchon, Irish crochet, Brussels point, filet, ground point, Carrickmacross, Milanese, etc.

2 Mend, very neatly, a piece of real or imitation lace.

3 Pass one of the following clauses:

(a) Bobbin or pillow lace: Manage at least thirty-six bobbins; make five different stitches; show specimens to include insertion and edging.

(b) Needlepoint lace: Make eight varieties of stitch, to include bars, picots, tulle.

(c) Filet or darned net lace: Make your own net and vary the design. Show

insertion or several squares.

(d) Tambour lace: Know the tambour stitch. Work in several colours; or show a piece of 'needle run' with at least eight varieties of stitch in the net.

(e) Applique on net: e.g. Carrickmacross, applique duchesse, etc. Show a piece

of work including lawn or sprigs. 4 Pass one of the following clauses:

(a) Tatting lace: Know single- and double-thread tatting, both for insertion and lace, manage three threads at a time on separate shuttles.

(b) Knitted lace: Copy a simple design, or follow directions, showing edging and insertion.

(c) Crochet: Copy a simple design, or follow directions, showing insertion, edging, comer, and Irish rosettes.

(d) Netting lace: Work two doilies with varying widths of mesh and different

designs, such as shell or pointed edges.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Helen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>