Bev Walker wrote:

(snip)
In effect, this is a survey of sorts - to what uses do *you* put your
lace?

Two general areas:-

1.  Gifts, for example
an embroidered tray cloth with a torchon edging in coarse cotton
(for a lady who often invited me to tea)
a padded dress hanger with a linen cover and Bucks ruffle,
and its own matching lavender bag
(for a friend who provided emergency accommodation and help)
bookmarks - many and various
(for seasonal gifts and thank-yous)
(for fellow students who took notes and otherwise helped when I'd had to miss part of our course due to illness).
pin cushions
I have a heart-shaped pattern in Bucks that sits well on a simple cone-shaped cushion
(for seasonal gifts and thank-yous)

2.  Personal stuff
to decorate lingerie, nightdresses, handkerchieves - mostly Bucks edgings

I have the ambition to make myself one of those lovely comfortable empire-line dresses, a la Jane Austen. It calls for a piece of lace in the neckline, but I don't know what it's called, let alone the shape or design. But I've made a start by buying authentic patterns for the dress and underpinnings. And I snapped up the end of a bolt - neglected in a sale - of pure cotton printed with a genuine period pattern. They're stored in my 'one of these days' cupboard, so I can take them out and admire them occasionally. If anyone can offer advice about the piece of lace, I'd be really grateful.

Best wishes,
Linda Walton,
(in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, U.K.,
where it's an exquisite Summer morning,
but made horrid by the noise of many tedious helicopters.
No - not security:  people off to the Formula One race Silverstone).