Gentle Spiders,
Let’s not get stuck on a label for the contest, and look at all the
possibilities! Whether the lace is used on a table, mantel or wall hanging…
the
important thing is that the lace is an expression of joy in the art of
lacemaking.

All the edges must be finished… it cannot be assumed  folks will finish all
the edges – someone could just cut off some yardage;  giving the same
consideration to such a piece of lace would not be fair to the  folks who did
finish
off the edges.
Symmetrical– Only if the lace maker wants it to be. (That word is not
anywhere in the contest rules.) I envision the needle lacers having fun with
floral
designs - can’t you just see some of the lovely point de gaze motifs from
Irma Osterman’s vest as a table ribbon? What if she were to embellish it
with
beads or wire?   Wow!!!(The  thread could be as heavy as the time desired to
complete the ribbon.) Floral  point ground lace would be a wonderful contest
idea (pearl beads for the center  of the flowers), ooooh the ideas!!!!  For
folks
who don’t like a lot of pairs,  Milanese or Schneeburger would be fun. (An
undulating trail could make the  ribbon vary in width from 3.5-5 inches. Add
some glittering threads – yum!)  Of course for the torchon, tambour,  filet
and
caricamacross folks, the sky is the limit too!
For the Binche, Flanders folks … have you seen  Ulrike Löhr’s latest
book,
Dick durch  Dünn?  I thought the contest  idea was original and yet
Ulrike’s
entire book fits the contest. I was shocked.  Did Ulrike read my mind?
Consilience?
Making lace is a beautiful, creative endeavor. Why else are we engaged in
this activity?
The contest rules should be thought of as an outline that serves to
stimulate the creative energies of the lacemaker.
There are no design  preconceptions to this contest – including any existing
piece of lace.
If anyone  has any questions, please direct them to me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]) . I am on deadline for  the Bulletin and I do not
get over here to Arachne very often right now.
I look forward to hearing from you!
Debra Jenny
2006 I.O.L.I. Contest Chair