Hi Barbara and All,
Several people have replied about fan sticks already but I would add one or two bits. Someone, (sorry I forget who) mentioned John Brooker. Sadly he no longer makes them. His were wonderful but he had health problems relating to the dust that the working caused I think. You mention that you have the pattern for a Bucks fan which you would like to make. Is it by any chance one of the Springett patterns? They published some Bucks patterns by Bridget cook as well. If so they also made fan sticks to fit. I think the sticks are still available from someone, perhaps Roseground supplies. I am sure that they will know who has them in any case and I do know that they keep some wooden one from Spain. If you write give them the depth of the leaf and also the radius from the centre of the (part) circle to the edge. Another possibility is Jenny Hester. her son makes bobbins and tatting shuttles and now Fan sticks and Jenny decorates them with pyrography and sparkly gems. As for mounting, while I have made several of the Springett patterns I always go for Ann Colliers mounting method. No pre-folding. Paint the sticks with wood glue, Evo-stick, and let it dry. Place everything on an ironing cloth, your lace arranged on top of the sticks, cover with a protective cloth and gently press the lace onto each stick in turn. If you decide to reposition anything it can be easily peeled back and repeated. I think there are more detailed descriptions of the method in most of Ann's books.
Best Wishes, Jean in Cleveland U.K.