<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote

> Now I have a question about this design.  Do the two flaps that fold
> over the pillow truly keep it from sliding out the end of this
> carrier?  I'd worry about that.

Yes they do - they usually tie across or have a buttton to keep the crossed
bits in place but one would have to be pretty rough with the carrier to lose
a pillow even if the crossed bits weren't tied - they do flap over a long
way and thus encase the pillow.

Many of the lace makers I know use this big Cross shaped design for their
cookie pillows.  It works very well without any variation or amendment and
because of that I wouldn't recommend the variation of the handled that you
suggest.  the reason for this is because if you use just one piece of wood
or dowel as you suggest then the wooden handle can come adrift.  The purpose
of the "D" cutouts is that the dowel goes right out to the corners of the
cross and as the dowel is sewn into what is effectively a tight fitting
sleeve with only a small piece of a cut out for the hand sized "D" then the
wood is secure and keeps the top of the handled tops sitting in a straight
line - no sloppy fabric flapping around.  With this design the pillow can be
carried one handed, has sides which one always knows where they are (no
sloppy fabric to catch on door handles etc) and the inside of the handle
parts of the cross can include zipped pockets for all the guff one carries
around with one.

The only thing about this design is that it takes a lot of fabric so if one
uses good quilting fabric it can get to be expensive to make.  My first step
up from my old tablecloth to carry the pillow in, was to a zip sided hang
down case as my first pillow carrier simply because of the expense factor.

Fran