As a lurker, I'll chime in on this one as I'm an ex bookcover maker.

Weronika, you're right in thinking that lace is too fragile to be wrapped around the bottom of a book cover and slid over a shelf. So just skip the edges!. When I had art, or fragile fabric to use for a turned edge (glued) cover, I would always suggest mounting it in some type of frame device. So, make a frame of some type, fabric, ribbon, printed paper wrapped over board (or not) and then mount your lace inside of it in some way. You can always use spray adhesive on the lace itself and mount down. Or, tack it down with a needle on a complementary colored cloth, cover with plastic and tuck it all under a frame glued to the surface of the binder.

I've found that even though you build up the surface thickness of the cover with a framing device, it usually never gets damaged on the book shelf.

Diane Zierold
Lubec, Maine