In 1972, I had just finished studying, and suddenly had my evenings free. Also I had just passed my driving test, so decided to join an evening class. I wanted to do something crafty, and lacemaking seemed like a good idea! I had no idea how it was made, and didn't particularly wear lacy things, but it was to be a life-changing descision.

I attended the enrolement meeting, and signed up. The teacher told me how to make a pillow and cover cloths, for the next week (nothing available commercially in those days). She gave no handouts and I had to remember everything! First cut 2 circles of calico about 18" diameter. Then a long strip equal to the circumference, plus extra for turnings. The strip joins the 2 circles together, to make a honiton-type shaped pillow. Now stuff it with wood wool until very hard. Wood wool was commonly used for packaging before we had polystyrene and bubble wrap, but I had no idea how to obtain any. My parents had an old footstool, which needed repairing, and said I could use the wood shaving contents. Well the pillow took the whole lot, and weighed a ton! But it was a good firm pillow, and I used it for many years.

When I arrived at the class and saw someone making a lace edging (with about 15 pairs), I almost ran out in horrror, but that evening, I caught the bug and never looked back. Interestingly the class was so big that the main teacher had about 15 students in one room, and I was taught with a similar number in an adjoining room, by the "assistant".

When I began teaching in 1978, my classes were about 20-24 students, many in their 20's and 30's. Now I'm lucky to get 10, and at least half are pensioners, and only one under 40!

Christine

Oxford UK