To: "Lace" <Lace@arachne.com>
Sent: Sunday, December 04, 2005 8:57 AM
Subject: [lace] NEC Lace Fair

Well, I've just got out of bed feeling very tired after yesterday's trip to the Christmas Lacemakers Fair at the NEC in Birmingham.

One person overslept and turned up late for the coach, so we didn't get on the road until 8.20 am instead of 8 am. Over an hour in a traffic jam because of roadworks on the A34 meant that we didn't arrive at the NEC until 1.00 pm. We did stop at Chievely Services for 20 minutes for a comfort break, where I bough a bucket of candy floss (cotton candy). Can't get it in Poole in spite of it being a "seaside" town, and I am rather partial to it.

I didn't think the fair itself was as good as when we went 2 years ago. There seemed to be about half the number of suppliers and many fewer lacemakers. There's also the fact that I don't actually NEED anything anymore, so it's not as fascinating as it was. Still I did manage to spend Mr Brown's (the Chancellor of the Exchequer) winter fuel allowance of 100 pounds (plus a bit more).

Trying to stick to spending the cash I'd taken, I suddenly realised that I didn't have enough cash for the taxi from where the coach would drop me off in Poole to my home. Fortunately there's an ATM in the NEC complex. On the way to it I passed the exhibition hall where the "Clothes Show Live" was being held. As I passed, I had a carrier bag thrust in my hand with "Have a goody bag". Inside was a couple of spray cans of body spray, sachets and tubes of various skin lotions, a sachet of chocolate drink and a carton of chocolate drink.

Again tried to badger Christine Springett into reproducing her 'Designing and Mounting Lace Fans' booklet because I'm not prepared to pay between 22 and 27 pounds for a 16 page booklet on ebay. But she still says she's got other things she wants to do first.

My highlight was meeting Jaqui Southworth of Larkholme Lace, who gave me a wonderful hug.

The journey home only took three and a half hours, including a 20 minute comfort break, again at Chievely Services, where I bought a second bucket of candy floss - well I won't be seeing any for at least another year and it will keep in it's sealed bucket.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK