Hello Brenda,
Sorry I am a bit behind i have again problems with my right hand wrist.
Thsnks for the picture of this Chinese piece. these stiches with the clear thread are what a machine can do. And so it seems to be exactly what my girl friend told me on such machine-made pieces they work by hand this coarse darker thread with buttonhole stiches. I saw meanwhile three different stitches for such pieces. That the hole thing is done only in one sort of stitch is for me a proof that a machine did it. Still Chinese people can do the hole day only one sort of stich and in such an accurate way.
Greetings

Ilske