I was saddened to read of the death of Marjory Carter - an amazing lady of great character. In the 1980's a friend and I booked, with great trepidation as Marjory didn't suffer fools gladly, a weekend course with her at the College of Lace at Rugby. We were both very interested in the old draft prickings from Luton Museum and I went with the intention of 'reading' and working one of them. On Marjory's first tour around the room she came eventually to me and I explained what I was hoping to do - 'waste of time' was her immediate reaction and carried on her way. I think with Marjory there had to be a purpose and a finished product to the exercise not just another sample piece. Not a very good beginning but things did get better and by the end of the weekend we were firm friends - and I was a fully paid up member of the Lace Society. We remained friends, though not meeting very often, and I always received a warm welcoming hug at the Society Rally. We shared a love of Bucks Point lace and also an interest in the history of East Midlands lace making industry and I shared some of my photographs of the old workers with her and the Society newsletter. Marjory first learnt to make lace as a child from an old lady at Riseley in Bedfordshire and was probably the last link with the old lace makers - the world is a poorer place without her. Diana in Northamptonshire