> > Already thought of for the consumer market - you can buy magnetic
> > sheets coated with paper that can be run through an inkjet.
>
> _Not_ the same thing, _at all_, as the professionally-made magnets...

maybe not, maybe so - as you say, if your own inkjet printer doesn't
do a great job. The one I received in the greeting card, looked pretty
good to me.

Inkjet aside - some years ago I made lace photo magnets on
business-card size magnets with a peel-away sticky surface on which to
apply the business card, or in my case the photo - I had taken
pictures of laces, and cut them to fit the magnet. Sold well for a
fund-raiser.

Another d.i.y. magnet project is with a sheet of balsa wood to cut to
size, the paper image, spray-adhesive and magnet strips with adhesive
backing, sold by the length at craft places.
--
bye for now
Bev in Sooke BC (on Vancouver Island, west coast of Canada)