Lace magnets: I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but my ISP has been flakey lately so I may have missed some messages. In pride of place on my refrigerator (admittedly a very large North American model) - and it's totally up to me what gets displayed on the outside as thus far the cats who are the only other breathers in the house have only expressed interest in what's inside it - is a fridge magnet with "Canadian Lacemaker Gazette Ottawa, Canada 1991-2000" surrounding a circular piece of lace.

I'm assuming this was a membership bonus but it's possible I picked it up somewhere else. However, that date leads me to believe that's how I got it as that's about the time the Gazette moved from east (Ottawa) to west (Victoria). I did have a quick look through the issues from around that time...but didn't find mention any of it. Perhaps Arachneans from Ottawa recall more details, including the name of the lacemaker?

Anyway, the graphics surround the central image which is a Canadian maple leaf design in some sort of bobbin lace. It's very attractive and has withstood 5+ years of display with no ill effrects. It has a slightly shiny finish and looks like it may be laminated so there's nothing to rub off. So, here's another lace "thing" for collectors to keep an eye out for...although there probably weren't that many produced in the first place.

Thread selection: OK, this went through my mind today when I was trying to decide what thread to use from my limited stock. Is there such a thing as a basic selection of threads that a lacemaker could invest in to have on hand to meet various needs? I realise this is probably not an easy question as thread choice is highly variable and depends on techniques, how fine one likes to work and so on.

However, it's hard to know what to buy unless one has a specific project in mind. Anyone have suggestions for what someone like me who does Torchon, Bucks, some tape lace and dabbles in a few other areas should keep on hand so that when inspiration strikes (or I decide to join a virtual lace meeting tomorrow <g>)...to get going right away?

I figured it out for today by making a leap of faith and deciding that if DMC Retors D'Alsace 80 is the same as DMC Broder Machine 80 (according to Threads for Lace, edition 2)...then Retors D;Alsace 50 is likely the same as Broder Machine 50...I suspect that having the 3rd edition of Threads for Lace on hand would make these comparisons easier...

Bobbins wound and ready to go tomorrow...I needed an incentive to get going.

JulieO in Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada...add very cold temperatures to some nice fresh snow, and it's definitely seasonable...and good weather for crafting. e-mail address: [EMAIL PROTECTED]