Hello Julie,
You can make a or your personal thread collecion buying linnen-, cotton- and silk-threads from very fine to thicker ones and in the colors you like most. But suddenly you like other colors or think that a special pattern would look nicer in another. Than you have to like what you posses or to buy another one. I personally buy threads when I see and like them. So I have lots of threads in different colors and sizes but have never enough. It's easy for people who striktly say "lace have to be white". The others must handle it in her personal manner. Sorry, no better advice. But on the other hand my huge thread collection often helps searching a top for a trouser or skirt I want wear always but I am looking for always. Than I take this little piece with me and have it always in my handbag.
Everything has several sides.
Greetings

Ilske from today very gry and wet and cold Hambug in Germany