I wrote Kris Bruland, the webmaster for the change of address for the Professor's website, and this is his answer. I hope you will forgive me if I print the whole thing, but it explains it all very well.

Tess([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Hi Tess,

My site does require registration. After completing this, the site will log people in automatically when they visit again later unless they log out by clicking the Logout link on the home page. People who do that are prompted to log in the next time they return.

There are several good reasons for registration. It enables me to offer personalized features such as the draft clipboard, divisional drafting, and
automatic identification of things people have contributed.

Also, with registration, I have some control over use of programs that download entire websites, which I do not allow. With the two sites now combined, there is so much material that it would cost me more than $400 in Internet fees if the entire site were downloaded just once. A surprising number of other websites like Google attempt to download my entire site frequently and by requiring registration, I can and do block this. Without registration, I would either have to close the site or charge quite a bit for access to it to cover the cost of automated downloads of the entire thing.

I created this site so that people who are themselves pursuing textile arts could get the resources they need individually and do not want to fund downloads of the entire thing for other purposes such as redistribution by Google or other search engine companies. Registration helps accomplish this because it enables me to limit access to the site to people who are using it for its intended purpose. For individuals who do want the whole site, it is available inexpensively on CD in a useful format.

I know that some people don't like registration, but without it the site would cease to exist due to the Internet fees that would be incurred by automated downloads of the entire thing. It may help to think of the registration as being like a magazine subscription. I'm asking for only the same information that would be required for that, it is kept confidential, and best of all there is no bill to pay. All in all I think it's a pretty good deal. It would be hard to beat that elsewhere!

Kris