Bev, I love the chopsticks idea.  That lace pattern is very similar to
what I did.  It may be too late for you know, but if you tied the passive
thread, or even thread the chopstock thru at the top you should be able to
eliminate the pulling of the passives, for the most part, I found that
when I did pull the passives too hard I was able to smooth the lace out
without any problem.  Actually the chopsticks look perfect for the ribbon
insertion because you could firmly attach the ribbon, and elastic, before
starting.

Lynn in Wollongong Australia