Alice Howell mentions this as  using 'cross and twist' when teaching..
Pam Nottingham in both "The Technique of Bobbin Lace" 1976 (p.20) and "The Technique of Torchon Lace"(p24) when talking about cloth st. used numbers 1-4 (L - R). She also described the stitches we use in a diagram labelled 'a,b and c' showing the movement of threads in use-4 for each stitch. Alexandra Stillwell in "Illustrated Dictionary of Lacemaking"1996 also uses numbers (p.55-6) to describe the working of cloth st. etc.
The cross, twist was introduced later in the '90's.
When introducing beginners to lacemaking one uses whichever form suits that student best. But one thing is certain, that the more we delve into this the more confusing it becomes. We or some us on the Essex/Herts border talk of cloth st and twist, south of the Thames in parts of Kent they talk of 'double half st.'. And we are only 30 miles apart as the crow flies! So one can understand how what are now small distances ,in the past were large and thus terms etc. varied so much.
However, in the end, it comes down to what we prefer.
Sheila in Sawbo where we have reverted to dull skies and a bitter wind.