And because, with all this discussion of it, I haven't seen an explanation
for anyone who is wondering:

S twist:  the twist (or plies) go around the thread so the diagonal slants
\\\ northwest down to southeast, like the diagonal of the letter S.

Z twist:  the twist or plies go around the thread so the diagonal goes ///
northeast down to southwest, like the diagonal of the letter Z.

Yes, I do draw S's and Z's in the air when I am checking twist. :)

No, although it seems to be hardwired into the human brain to think this,
you don't get a "Z" if you take an "S" from the far end, or vice versa.
Try it on a piece of yarn for ease of seeing the twist:  if you hold the
piece vertically and check the twist, and then drop the end so that top
becomes bottom, an S twist is still S.  (And if you draw an S and a Z on a
piece of paper and turn it 180 degrees, magically the S and Z are still an
S and a Z.  Kids of a certain age love this.)

Lynn Carpenter in SW Michigan, USA
alwen at i2k dot com
http://lost-arts.blogspot.com/