Welcome, Christiane, to both the Arachne list and to
making lace.  According to my atlas, your town is
between Palo Alto and San Jose. You live in an area
that has quite a few lace makers, and fairly close to
the Lace Museum in Sunnyvale.  Contact them.  They may
have lists of lacemakers and teachers in your area.
They do have classes, too.  They also have some
supplies.  Arachneans in that region, please contact
Christiane with the lace group near her.

Find and bookmark the webpage of Lacefairy.  Lori has
a section on lacemaking, and various information that
could be helpful to you.  There's also web links to
various suppliers.  Explore their pages so you get an
idea of the materials we use.

The beginner kits listed on Van Sciver Bobbin Lace,
Lacy Susan, the Lacemaker, and other suppliers will
give you an idea of the basic things you need to get
started.  The Lace Museum can probably help you there,
also.

Ask questions on the List.  We all began some time,
and were at the same place you are.  There's probably
others out there who are too shy to write, but will
appreciate the information also.

Jenny started last year with nothing but the list for
advice, and she has done alot in one year. Jenny...
maybe you can tell Christiane some hints to get her
started.

It's a fun art, but we warn you that it is very
addictive. <G>  You can make or buy your first
equipment.  It depends on how much you want to spend
and how handy you are with tools.

So, keep in touch, and keep asking questions.  We're
happy to help.

Happy lacing,
Alice in Oregon

--- Christiane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello everyone - my name is Christiane Johnson and I
> an such a newbie I squeek. .....Lace knitting
> that I can do, but it is the bobbins that interrest
> me now. >   So my question is: how do I start? I
live in