On 22 May 2006, at 00:56, bevw wrote:

I leave it up to you to decide which starch product to use - I would
be inclined to use the blue-ish type (anyone remember? they were
little blue wafers you would dissolve in water), so that the lace
looks whitest .

I don't know of blue wafers to dissolve in water to make the lace/laundry look whiter but I'd guess they contained the same blue (powdered lapiz lazuli) that Recket a& Coleman's (?) 'Blue Bags' in UK contained. Made the laundry look whiter but in the long term leaves the white cottons and linens looking distinctly grey. The grey colour won't wash out, even with repeated boil washes and the tiny particles of lapiz lazuli damage the fibres to boot! Best not used for anything precious!

Brenda
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/