On Jun 17, 2006, at 14:26, Leonard Bazar wrote:

Hilary Booth described her experiences making lace in Le Puy [...]
It took me four afternoons to master the art of swinging the bobbins
on the oilcloth without picking them up - have you tried to make a
leaf with a rolling weaver? ...
No spangled, let alone square, bobbins there, but I
suppose it keeps the speed up.

I can see the distinct advantage of a slick work cloth in making Duchesse in "Sister Judith's manner" (for the life of me, I can't remember the name of the town the method takes its name from. Starts with S...)... You flick an individual bobbin, on its super-long "leash", and send it across the entire width of the pillow, counting on its velocity to tension at the same time as it makes its part of the stitch. But the situation in making leaf-shaped tallies is not quite the same, so I'm not sure that _really slick_ surface would be all that helpful.

I use the smoother part of the fake suede work cloth and square bobbins. They _will_ roll, or slide, depending on how strong the initial flick/push is, especially if the cloth is well-used (washing machine/dryer routine will restore some of the fuzz). They just won't slide as fast or as far. Which suits me just fine -- I have trouble enough keeping the shape of the dratted things monitored, without having to chase the bobbins all over the pillow as well :)
--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/