I stayed quiet when Ronna's email arrived, because I felt that anything I
said on this subject would appear to be biased.  However, now that others
have spoken out, I will say this:

Jean is right - Knipling isn't so easy for most people to master.

EasyLace works in much the same way as Lace 2000 - however, it *is* an
adaptation of a cross stitch programme, and the programmer hasn't had the
assistance of a lacemaker to simplify the "language" used - so a lot of the
functions such as adding pattern items (such as spiders, fans) to the motif
library and reusing them is not as intuitive as Lace 2000.  It doesn't "sit"
so well on the screen, either.   Some of the displays are very hard to see,
and there isn't the option (which you do get in Lace 2000) to change
background colours to make the display easier to see - although with the
last upgrade, they have finally made it possible to change some of the
drawing colours.

I'm very familiar with Easy Lace - because I was approached last year to
write a book for it in the same style as "Click and Drag ... Snap to Grid"
(which is available in America through Lacy Susan).  So I spent some weeks
turning Easy lace inside out and upside down to find out what it did and how
it worked.

I also finally managed to acquire a copy of Knipling earlier this year,
although I haven't had a lot of time to spend on it yet.

I'm reasonably good with computers, and I'd have to say, out of the three, I
still keep going back to Lace 2000.   Ronna - think of the display screen as
your graph paper - all those dots are the intersections of graph paper
lines, ready set up for drawing Torchon.   To put dots on the page, click on
the "dot" button - now anywhere you click on the page, a dot will
appear...its the same for most of the other drawing buttons.   Fans are
drawn as a line first, then converted to dots.   I won't take up any more
"time" on the list by going into details here, but if you need help, email
me.

I have nothing to gain whether Ronna (or anyone else for that matter) buys
Lace 2000 or not - so please take my comments as personal opinion, rather
than "sales-speak".

Ruth Budge (Sydney, Australia)