Re-sending my list below as it bounced back from Jays's address and might
not have got through to the arachne list either. I hope Jay, and perhaps
others, find it useful.

Hi Jay,

When you are in the Barcelona area then you might like to catch a train
from
perhaps the station at Plaza de Cataluña station which plaza is in the
centre of the city and no doubt you will be staying nearby, the station
is
underground. Take a train going North to Arenys De Mar. Journey approx,
30-40mins. fares very cheap compared to UK.

Once you get off the train come out of the station, cross the main road
and
bear slightly to your right and take the first road on your left, which
should be quite a wide road, it is in fact the river bed which has been
tarmacced over, the streets has several pavement bars and restaurants.
Walk
up this road a little way until you come to some steps up to a square
where
you will see the church. Go to the church and, facing it, walk up the
road
on the right hand side of the chuch, you will come eventually to the
Museo
Marés de Puntes. This is a lovely lace museum. It is quite a long way up
the narrow road beside the churcn and just beyond the Geology museum.

Arenys De Mar and Arenys de Munt, (Arenys of the sea and Arenys of the
mountains), were both busy lace making centres in Cataluña. The museum
has
about 6 floors each consisting a large room, or two, full of glass
cabinets
containing lots of lace. Lots of Mantons, large cape like articles, and
Mantillas, a wedding dress or two and many fans, all sorts of items in
various types of lace. Look out the Ret FÃ which is Catalan Blonde. Ret
FÃ
meaning fine net. There are a few pieces in other techniques to give a
contrast but mostly it is all bobbin lace.

This page is about the museum. http://museu.arenysdemar.org/index_i.htm
check the opening times as it is not open all day every day.

When the OIDFA conference was held in Barcelona in 1994 the ladies that
came
from England paid a visit to the museum and the general concensus was
that
it was better than some of the lace museums they had visited in England
simply because it had so much lace all in one place.

Hope you find time to go to this one it is well worth the effort.

Arboç is quite a distance from Barcelona and I have only visited there
once
when it first opened so I can't comment on that one or how to get there,
it
would be about an hours drive south of Barcelona, not sure if a train
goes
there or not.

I don't know of a lace museum in Barcelona itself, Barcelona is a
province
which is like an English county, and covers many towns and villages,
Arenys
De Mar & Munt are in Barcelona Province. Cataluña is made up of 4
privinces, Girona, Barcelona, Tarragona and Lleida/Lerida. Each province
has it "Capital Town" which bears the name of that province. Barcelona is
the capital of the region of Cataluña in the north east corner of Spain,
the
language is Catalan but everyone speaks Castellano too, as a second
language.

Regards
Jenny DeAngelis.
Spain.

The free time won't be completely finalised until we return home, DH has
a knack of attracting commitments as he goes but it seems likely we
will be in Spain from 1-5 August - initially in Madrid then in
Barcelona, unfortunately not in time for the 'great lace days' but I
hope to visit some museums and lace shops.
The lace fairy site lists museums in Barcelona, Arenys de Mar, and
L'Arcoç. Unfortunately neither DH nor I speak Spanish - are there
likely to be English brochures in the museums?