Reading Tamara's email on her new pillow, by now she probably has it and I hope
she is delighted with it.

  My workshop with Ulrike Voelker suggested using a block pillow, especially as
she wanted us to do the first inch or so of point ground using 60+ pairs of
bobbins which I would hate to pack in my suitcase.  I lost one case already
this year when I went to Carolina and my suitcase went to New Orleans for 3
days.  Anyway, my large square 24" home made block pillow was too big for my
suitcase.  I did think about cutting up my new "one and only" but decided
instead to cut up a 24" builders foam pillow I had in my stash.  I got out my
suitcase, laid the round pillow on top and sliced off the overhanging piece
with my bread knife.  Using 2 ethafoam blocks from my other pillow, I laid them
in the center and level with the squared off side, drew around them and cut out
the oblong .  Thbread knife had not worked too well, so I went down to the
basement and used DH large wood saw (don't tell him).  It worked great and gave
a nice even edge.  Before cutting out the center, I looked
 around the basement and found the huge cardboard box from our newly installed
shower doors, (we never throw anything away!).  I cut two pieces of cardboard
and glued them together with white glue (all I had).  This I covered with some
pieces of suede type fabric so the bottom is nicely finished.  I covered the
horeshoe shape foam with fabric but not before I put a layer of wool felt on
the top.  All this was held in place with pins.  I then used the glue and stuck
the top to the bottom and placed piles of books on top to weight it down and
left it overnight.  The next day I glued a decorative tape around the base and
top to hide the gap, the tape extends across the gap on the top edge and can be
pinned in place to hold the blocks in when I am using the pillow.  I have
nearly finished my point ground so I am almost ready to start the flower part
next week.  The hardest part will be deciding on my color scheme.  I wonder
what the security guys at the airport will think when
 they xray a block of foam with pins in the center and hope if my carryon gets
searched they will be gentle with the block and its 120+ bobbins and fine
thread. Now to look for a suitable carryon for the block that will hold it
securely.  I am thinking of using my hand held cooler and it can then double up
in the hotel for my food.

  No-one contacted me about an Arachne meeting so maybe we should plan on
eating lunch on Monday together in the hotel.
  Janice

Janice Blair
Crystal Lake, 50 miles northwest of Chicago, Illinois, USA
http://www.lacemakersofillinois.org/