tHE PLAY YOU WRITE ABOUT IS THE ONE I JUST HELPED THE DRAMA SCHOOL STUDENTS TOPUT ON IN lONDON LAST WEEK WHEREONE OF THE GIRLS IS TOLD TO KILL HER BABY BECAUSE IT IS STOPPING HER PRODUCING THE AMOUNT OF WORK THEY NEED AND IS ILL AND SHE HAQSNT ENOUGH MILK FOR IT ETC IT IS CALLED REACH FOR THE MOON. tHE GIRLS MADE A REALLY GOOD JOB OF CREATING THE ILLUSION THEY WERE SEASONED LACEMAKERS EVEN THOUGH THEY ONLY HAD A COUPLE OF HOURS TRAINING FROM ME AND THAT INCLUDED CREATING THE SCENERY ETC. I AM REALLY PLEASED THAT MY NOTE ABOUT THE PLAY HAD STARTED THIS THREAD AS I AM INTERESTED IN THE HISTORY OF THE CRAFT NOT JUST THE CRAFT ITSELF. tHANK YOU TO THE GIRLS WHO LENT ME PROPS - A WONDERFUL WEDDING VEIL WHICH WITH SOME ADDITONAL LACE FITTED THE PART AND THE TINY CHRISTENING GOWN THEY WERE MAKING IN THE PLAY.

kATRINA IN A LOVELY SUNNY SUFFOLK (THOUGH A BIT COOLER THAN YESTERDAY WHEN i HAD TO DRIVE UP TO LONDON TO COLLECT THE PROPS BACK)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CC: lace@arachne.com
Subject: [lace] Lacemaker plays
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 10:06:19 EDT

In a message dated 7/20/2006 9:40:12 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

by the  Catalan playwright Lorca

My mistake. Don't know my geography.

It strikes me that most of these plays do not display lacemaking in a
positive light. In Dona Rosita, lacemaking is a metaphor for a wasted life. The light opera to be performed in Los Alamos deals with a poor mother attempting to
save the life of her child through lacemaking. A play we saw performed some
years ago at a Convention (sorry, don't remember which one) has three
lacemakers in it, one of whom is going blind. At one point one of their number is
advised  to kill her baby girl so that she not grow up to share their fate.

The world of drama has yet to be treated to a play about a lacemaker who
finds lace a fulfilling hobby that plays a role in a happy and well-adjusted
life and provides the basis for many friendships.  Now that the role of
lacemaking has shifted to pleasure, shouldn't literature reflect that as well?

Is it any wonder that our hobby is so maligned and misunderstood? We need a
play or movie that does for lacemaking what Endless Summer did for surfing.

Devon