Jill,
It doesn't matter what order you do them - just do it. I made a resolution not to start anything new this year until I'd finished ALL my other things - I had several, lace & non lace, that were almost done, just the last 5%. So far I've managed to stick to it (apart from going on a quilting course lace weekend - but I won't say anymore about that). Anyhow its so nice to see space in my cupboard, so despite feeling a bit guilty taking cross-stitch to a lace day, it been well worth doing.

Rosemary