Many years ago when I started learning bobbin lace I used a bolster pillow.
The first one I bought from my teacher and it was stuffed with seaweed. UIt was rather heavey.

At one occasion a member of the class came up with a wonderful idea. She brought me two very big chicken mix cantisters > In those days they were plastic and had the correct diameter. I glued them together bottom to bottom . I then made a bag big enough to fit loosely over the canisters, and filled the space with firmly packed sea weed. On both sides there was a string to pull the bag tightly together. The nice thing about it was that the lid part of the canister could be unscrewed and into it I could fit all my lace equipment, pins scissors, patterns, bobbins and threads. The big advantage was that it wasn't too heavy and very practical. I still have it though I never use it.

Miriam
In Israel