("Re" stands for "repeating myself")

Tamara is quite right about finding beat-up and tattered old fans of which the sticks are still in good shape, and are often quite marvelous. I have made five fans so far (my first one, "Espalier," made it to the cover of a recent issue of the IOLI Bulletin; and my latest one, "Gardening in Winter," will be coming out, I think, in the same venue this winter. "Espalier's" sticks were part of a pathetic-looking fan ($6) that I found in the window of an ice-cream-parlor-cum-junk-shop in St. Augustine, but they have long since (ever since I threw away their tattered old rag of a fan-leaf) allowed as how they were really upper-class Spanish. "Gardening's" sticks were made for me by John Brooker, the English fan-maker. They are made of gorgeously-carved ivory, and are to die for. Brooker is no longer working, but there is a Malcolm-somebody who advertises in "Lace," the publication of the British Lace Guild, that he makes fans; and I am sure you would also be happy with our own John Aebi's work, he does beautiful things. And you might given Kenn van Dieren a try.

Christine Springett has a booklet, about fifteen years old by now, but I think may still be available, called "Designing and Mounting Lace Fans." Required reading!

Making a fan is a delightful experience, and I can't tell you the feeling of glory and achievement when you have made one! -- Aurelia