I took time off writing to attend the Textile Society AGM weekend at Leicester
University Halls of Residence in central England and returned home today.  I
was so pleased to see another Arachne member there, my good friend Jane
Partridge.   Although the weekend was devoted to subjects connected with India
and the ethnic embroidery and quilting, all sorts of other subjects come up
for discussion, including lace.   Heather Toomer, who wrote the lace
identification books, was also there.  Jane had brought her travelling pillow,
a lovely one with a roller which could be adapted to face at right angles, so
that a corner could be worked.  I am sure Jane will tell you about this and
how she came to buy it.  I have seen a number of travelling pillows, but this
one beat them all !

Several of the Textile Society members are Museum Curators, or heads of
Textile Departments in Colleges or Universities.  I am not surprised that they
are very knowledgable in their particular subjects, but few seem to have any
practical knowledge and were quite bewildered when Jane produced her pillow
one evening and demonstrated her lace.   Apart from myself, only one other
member of our particular group was a lace-maker.  Quite a few of us are
embroiderers, patchworkers and quilters.  This makes a good mixture, so we can
all learn from one another.  So now it is back to work, but I did have a
lovely weekend off.

Angela in Autumnal Worcestershire