From: Noelene Lafferty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> I've been having a discussion with some Australian lacemaking
> friends about
> whether photocopied prickings should be supplied to participants
> before a
> workshop, so that they can prepare their prickings properly before the
> workshop begins.

In my opinion, it can depend on the lace.  A coarse or simple pattern
doesn't necessarily need pre-pricking anyway, or only takes a little
while.  The tape laces could fall into this category, or Honiton (not
that it's coarse! but it takes relatively few pinholes to make a tiny
motif).  However, with the finer point ground laces, where there are a
lot of pinholes close together, I'd sure like the pattern in advance.

But then some teachers come prepared with several patterns for students
to choose among, and the students need to talk to the teacher about
their ability so she can steer beginners to the simpler patterns and
find appropriate challenges for the more advanced.  And someone who
doesn't know this particular lace (after all, that's often why we take
the class) may not be able to judge how difficult the pattern really is
just from its pricking.  It would be very hard for a teacher to send
the prickings in advance so they could be pricked.  Who should she send
each pattern to?

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA
(formerly  Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)