It is an interesting dress.  I wouldn't mind owning it
myself.  The pictures are intriguing but don't let me
close enough to really 'see' the lace.  At first
viewing, it is bobbin lace style, not crochet as
mentioned in the listing.  They do say 'machine made
crochet'.

Considering the style and time period, it was made at
the peak of machine lace development, and at a time
when handmade lace making was minimal.  The dressmaker
used the lace as fabric..cutting and shaping it to the
dress style.  I think it *was* lace fabric -- made by
machine and available by the yard.  The lace style may
not be Russian.  It seems to me to be more similar to
some old Hungarian or old Flemish samples I have.  If
it is machine made, the designer could have used any
type of lace as a guide, or even combined styles.

Handmade lace clothing that I've seen usually has the
various parts made to size.  This dress has been
fitted and shaped with tucks and gathers in the lace.
Tucks in lace????  Not normal.

Now that I've spoke in favor of machine lace, who's
going to give an opposite viewpoint?  Wish I could see
it in person.

Alice in Oregon

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=001&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=110054375933&rd=1&rd=1