Yesterday I took Cattern Cakes to my lace guild to celebrate lacemaking and
St.Catherine, November 25th.  This time I omitted the caraway seeds and added
a little more butter and cinnamon to the recipe and they tasted good.  Last
time I made them, they just sat on the baking sheet and remained the same,
this time they spread out.  I couldn't find my caraway seeds and maybe that
made the difference to the taste.  The recipe was from Cattern Cakes and Lace.
Recipe follows:

Cattern Cakes
9 oz/275g self-raising flour
1/4 teaspn ground
cinnamon
1 oz/25g currants
2 oz/50gr ground almonds
2 teaspoons caraway seeds
7 oz/200g caster sugar
4 oz/100g melted butter
1 medium egg, beaten
A little
extra sugar and cinnamon for sprinkling.

Oven: 200C/400F/Gas 6

Sift flour
and cinnamon into a bowl and stir in the currants, almonds, caraway seeds and
sugar.  Add melted butter and egg and mix well to give soft dough.  Roll out
on a floured board into a rectangle, about 12x10 inches/30 x 25 cm.
Brush the
dough with water and sprinkle with extra sugar and cinnamon.  Roll up like a
swiss roll and cut into 1/2 inch/2cm slices.  Place well spaced on greased
tray, bake for 10 minutes.  Cool on wire rack.  Sprinkle with extra caraway
seeds if desired.

I cooked mine a little longer as they seemed too soft but
buy Sunday the leftovers were becoming quite hard but still edible.

I also
was able to show a newby how to make a lace fish.  I am sure she will be back
to our next meeting in the New Year.

Janice

Janice Blair
Crystal Lake, 50
miles northwest of Chicago, Illinois, USA
http://www.lacemakersofillinois.org/