Tamara P Duvall wrote:

But I wonder if there's a better way? One where a single Mac-conversion would work for every Windows user?

It's called "plain text", otherwise known as ASCII (American
 Standard Code for Information Interchange.)  (Middle of
that translation very doubtful, but that's the general
idea.)  (The "A" is why ASCII lacks several dozen essential
characters, which causes very queer spellings on Usenet.)

Every word processor worthy of not being flung off a tall
building can save in plain ASCII.  But most of them, if
given half a chance will say "Aw, but just so it won't be
*completely* plain . . . "

(WTF *is* RTF, anyway?)

Microsoft's way of saying "Aw, but just so it won't be
*completely* plain . . . "

RTF never stands for the same thing twice. Do not use RTF for any purpose.

So I have little hope for the HTML option (plus I have a dislike of spending 120 KB for a message which, in plain text, needs about 5) but, if y'all think *that* would work...

Hypertext was *supposed* to be plain text with a very few codes added -- "<p>" to mark the beginning of a paragraph, for example. But machine-generated HTML is almost certainly one of the bastard programs that try to integrate hypertext with graphic design -- hence the enormous expansion of the file size. But it would *probably* work.

Afterthought: I went back to your message, clicked on "view source" -- and it's ASCII!

Have you tried pasting the text into an e-mail?

--
Joy Beeson
http://joybeeson.home.comcast.net/