The styrofoam would probably work, if the bulk and
weight of it is not in the way.

When I did a piece where the beginning was not kept
pinned to the pillow the whole time, I slipped a small
piece of fabric under the start of the lace.  Then the
lace and the magic threads were pinned to the fabric,
which then was folded up into a little packet, with
pins securing the packet.  If safety pins are used for
the final pinning, people are safe from bumping into
pins,  The fabric keeps all the magic threads in place
until needed again and is not bulky.

PS -- I use longer magic threads than was described.
I start with about 20" of thread, folded to 10" so I'
have 4-5" on each side of the pinhole.  I'm always
afraid of pulling one out too soon.

I also use several colors of threads in rotation when
threads have to be very close together.  It's easier
for my eyes to locate the correct thread.

Alice in Oregon