In a message dated 1/15/07 6:55:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> My daughter and family will be moving (temporarily) to Germany (in
> Bavaria?) sometime this year...we are wondering what is going on in that
> part of the world when it comes to lacemaking.
> She is so excited!  She was a little girl when we lived in England (came
> back to the US when she was 6) and really misses living in different
> cultures.  I'm saving my money for a visit as I can't be away from the
> grandbaby that long!

Dear Debbie,

I doubt if I have ever been in a city with more museums than Munich.  In one,
they have hundreds of hand-made antique creches, among other fascinating
exhibits.  So, you might contact their tourism office for info.  There have to
be
antique costumes in some of the palace collections, and they would be trimmed
with lace.  Ask for lace, embroidery, costumes, church and household textiles.
 Look in your lace books from Germany for the credits given to pictures -
that will give you important clues.

There are two persons (quite prominent) listed in the latest OIDFA bulletin
(October/Novemer/December) as being on the Council.  If you have access to
their bulletin through your local lace guild or someone you know, you can write
one or both of them.  I will, as with IOLI, not put other people's private
e-mail addresses on Arachne, which is open to the public at large.  There is a
Treasurer for Germany listed on the inside front cover.

http://www.oidfa.com

As for New Zealand:  Has your friend found the Embroiderers' Guild?  Through
them, she might find lacemakers, since much lace is needlelace.  Then, they
will know about bobbin lace.  Always ask in knitting and quilting shops.
Though
supplies may not be on display, chances are the owner will know of "related"
textiles and people who make them.

Arachnes!  One way to find people is to join the lace groups near you.  Many
of them offer classes, have libraries from which you can borrow books, etc.
If you are temporarily far from home, this is a way to meet new friends within
your own country, or in another.  I should think it would be worth the dues to
find someone with whom you have something in common.

Oops!  Have to go.  The snowplow has arrived.  My driveway is 250 feet long,
and I like to be sure it is perfectly clear....

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center