David, I usually thread the shoelace through the spangles of about 6 to 10
pair max., then tie in a bow, bundling the bobbins into a bunch.  The
bundles get stacked at the side.   If there are a lot of bobbins - say more
than 50 pair in use - I have some small squares of fabric which I place
between layers of about 3 or 4 bundles, it seems to make it easier to stack
them higher.  And being soft shoelaces, and not slippery ribbon, the bow
does not come undone until you pull on an end.

My idea is not to hold a lot of bobbins in one go, but to have smaller
manageable bundles of bobbins to help with a continuous flow of work.  It
quickly becomes second nature to finish with 6 pair of bobbins or so, thread
them onto their shoelace, and reach for another bundle.  20 pair in a batch
would be a bit unmanageable for me.

As I need new bobbins from one side or the other, I just take the bundle
down, undo the bow, pull the shoelace to one side or the other to give easy
access to the bobbins in that bundle, and continue using them.   It's often
the case you only need one or two pairs of bobbins from a bundle to finish a
certain section of lace, and then you're finished with those bobbins for the
time being.   They get slipped back onto their shoelace, the bow quickly
retied, and they never get out of order.

And to carry the pillow you just need a cover cloth pinned firmly over the
top.  Never a broken thread or tangled bobbins.  There don't seem to be any
problems I can think of.  The only one used to be the wire in the spangling
snagged in the shoelace, but I've been gradually properly rebeading my old,
roughly twisted wire spangles and that isn't so much of a problem any more.

When I was doing the Chantilly class (hello Ilske) where you have to carry
ground bobbins with the gimp so often, there were all sorts of ideas flying
around the classroom about the best way to bundle them together - I stuck to
my shoelaces, which kept the threads in order as well, and when bundled up,
were easy to handle as a single bobbin.   I was grateful I was using
spangled bobbins!

Noelene in Cooma
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~nlafferty/