Dear Sue, Surprise!  It was from me.  I sent the first reply only to
you..This time, I'll send to the list -- so you can look up if you lose it
again.
Apologies to those not interested.  Jeri Ames

In a message dated 1/29/07 11:25:22 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Dear Spiders
> On the 18th of Jan I sent a missive about the Norfolk Lacemakers Lace
> Day someone very kindly replied with a book title about Mary Queen of
> Scots that she recommended I read prior to the lace day, I am sorry to
> say that I lost that information and have spent an hour looking through
> the archives without success, So, could the person who sent the
> information kindly re-send.  I would be grateful.
>
> Sue M Harvey
> Norfolk UK
> --------------------
In a message dated 1/18/07 9:16:16 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> The
> speaker is Sylvia Everitt "The Embroideries of Mary Queen of Scots".  We
> usually enjoy a lovely day.
> -------------------------------------
Dear Sue,

Good preparation would be a reading of Margaret Swain's "The Needlework of
Mary Queen of Scots", Van Nostrand Reinhold 1973.  Have seen it in paperback,
which would have been a later edition.  It is a classic.

Another classic by Swain, which has been discussed on Arachne at length in
the past, is "The Flowerers - The Story of Ayrshire Needlework", published in
1955.  I had to pay $300 for this rare book.

I met Swain back in the 1980's (I think) when she was quite old, and believe
she was decorated by the Queen for her expertise i/c/w the history of Scottish
needlework.  She told us the story of how she suddenly became aware she had
given away her last copy of "The Flowerers".  To get a copy, she attended the
funeral of a woman she knew had one - and asked for the book from the deceased
woman's husband!  The way she told it was much funnier than what I have
written.

There are several other books by her.  She was a charming woman.  Well loved.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center