Barbara wrote:

<I would like to know where the hedgehog come to fit in with bobbin lace? Does anyone know?>

"Tiggy: Mrs. Tiggywinkle is a hedgehog, and our beloved mascot, who lives with her lace-making owner in Bainbridge Island, WA. Miss Tiggy now has a pal, Fuzzy-peg."

is a quote from:

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Fields/1404/handbook.html

which is the Lace- and Lace-Chat Subscriber's Handbook for Arachne from November 1998 - yes there was/is a handbook (but haven't heard it mentioned for some time) with all the do's and dont's for posting to lace and lace-chat as well as some common terms.

I'd assumed that the hedgehog was the mascot because it's "a pincushion" with "pins" stuck in its back, but I could be wrong. I've got a small silver hedgehog pincushion, which I don't use because I don't want to have to keeping cleaning it. It's in a glass cabinet kept away from new air so that it doesn't go black.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK