My cousin wanted to learn and had purchased this kit before I could tell her
that it wasn't the best to learn on by herself.  So when I managed to pay a
visit to her to properly show her the ropes on beginning bobbin lace I told
her to sand down the rough bobbins and give them a nice finish.  And just
for a quick fix so she can get started I had her cut some padding and cover
the foamboard  with that and some sturdy cover cloth.  I cut down the
beveled stand so the angle wasn't as severe.  But that still wasn't that
great.  Better to rest it on a pile of towels or a soft pillow to get a good
angle.  It worked out ok just for the first lessons.  I then directed her to
a better kit and also told her how to make her own tools.  Not sure if she
has continued with it, but she is like me and is an anxious needle
artist.......jumping from one project to the next without finishing.  Altho
some things do eventually get done LOL!

So this kit can work if you modify it.  When I wanted to try out bobbin lace
I purchased this kit ages ago and did nothing with it.  Left it in the
package until I felt I had the time to get into.  Then I subbed to Arachne
and other lace lists to learn that it wasn't the best kit to work with.  Of
course I had an actual BL teacher by the time I wanted to learn, so made my
own tools. :)  But my kit isn't useless.  I use the big bobbins for making
the large thread/yarn shawl's and the like.  Works out good.  Altho I could
use a few more of those bobbins from that kit.  Can't do any of the wide
shawl patterns.  Anyone want to give these unwanted bobbins from the horror
kit a good home?  Or is there such a thing as unwanted bobbins?  HAH

Lacingly yours,

Mark, aka Tatman
Where the weather turned nasty cold(31 F) on us and is very cold, when we
were just 80 degrees F just two days ago, in Greenville, IL USA
Www.tat-man.net
Www.tat-man.net/blog