From: Brenda Paternoster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Spun silk is easier to work with - reeled silk being very smooth and
> shiny is slippery and doesn't stay on the bobbins so well.  Really
> it's down to personal preference

The only reeled silk I've used so far is the unboiled 3-ply "frog hair"
that Lia Baumeister-Jonker uses for Chantilly.  It's quite wiry.

I've been learning to spin silk and got to handle some home-boiled
reeled silk.  Home boiling doesn't get all the sericin off, even after
a long boil time, so it was unpleasant stuff--sorta lumpy and with
rigid sections (where a bunch of plies stick together with remaining
gum).  Apparently, you have to add a pretty strong alkali to the water
while boiling to get it truly clean.

Silk that's been fully cleaned and shaped into "hankies" or "caps"
spins easily, but makes fuzzy thread.  It's not chopped up but you're
spinning many plies together and they're not aligned end-wise.  They're
also (each) crinkly.

We also tried silk "sliver", which is chopped into rather long staple
(several inches, anyway) but then carefully aligned and straight.  This
is very difficult to spin because it's so slippery.  I imagine it would
be a slippery thread when it's spun, even though it's not whole
filaments.

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA
(formerly  Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)