From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Daphne Martin
Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 9:45 AM
To: lace@arachne.com
Subject: [lace] lace plastic bobbins

Hello one and all.
                     I would like to add my comments to the plastic bobbins
thread.
I totally agree with Jean in saying there is nothing wrong with plastic
bobbins. The lace does`nt know wether its made by plastic or bone. It is a
little snobbery with some lacemakers [we have all met them] Who say
ughhhhhh!! plastic bobbins horrible things!!!
Its a matter of personal choice wether to keep the plastic bobbins or not.
Certainly for a beginner who is not sure about lacemaking plastic bobbins
are ideal and wether she/he changes them for wood or bone its up to them.
I think the Hornsby ones were replica`s of their wooden bobbins turned by
Dennis Hornsby. You would proberly have to ask Bill Hornsby about that.
One lady here in Norfolk uses nothing but plastic bobbins, she is happy so
why not?
How many of us could put our hands up because we all started with the Dryad
kit?? Quite a few I suspect.
I also agree that if the kit is still in production that the beads could be
better.  I`m not sure if it is.
My ladies all start with plastic bobbins. I have only one lady in six years
who has a thing about plastic, so she uses wooden ones. If its a choice
between making lace or not because  wooden and bone bobbins are not cheap,
then I would plump for the plastic ones.
Its making lace which is important not what you make it with.
When my daughter and I first started. I was buying bobbins, pillows etc for
two. so I went the cheapest route.
OK!! I`m getting off my soapbox now. HaHa!!!
Daphne Lovely sunny Norfolk UK