some more random ramblings on the matter....

wanted to use the patterns for free by borrowing the book from the library.
> That shows they put no value on the work done by the designer. Would they
> be
> employed for no pay?

Nothing is really 'free' ;)
The library user does pay in some way - at least here, we have to prove we
live in the jurisdiction of the public library, ergo we  are paying the
taxes that support the library, before receiving the library card for
borrowing privileges.

As well, being a library user - if a title is popular, one might have to
wait for months for a chance to borrow it, then might only have a short time
with it before having to return it for the next user. The chance of being
able to peruse a pristeen new book is limited - the lace books I would
borrow in the past were well-thumbed!

When I was first interested in learning lacemaking and borrowing library
books on the subject, if we wanted our own copy, we could ask the local
bookstore to order one in - they would contact the publisher,usually in the
UK, then after months of waiting for the order to be processed it would be
ours for about double the original cost. Often the store would wait until
there were more titles to order, from that publisher - if none, then
ordering a single book was impractical and we would find out we couldn't get
the book after all!
It leads me to wonder how libraries here decided to put lacemaking titles on
their shelves, back in the 1980's . However way, I'm glad they did!

I agree there is not much money at all in it for the book author - but again
- should the book be out there and in use, or kept hidden except to a select
group who pay outright for it? It is possible that the book borrower
decides  to invest in a copy of the title for themselves, too, especially
now that buying books is easier than it used to be.

I rarely borrow from a library now -  returning library books on time was a
scheduling hassle, and I so disliked having to pay the ensuing late fines ~
better to buy the book :)

Authors and artists have a right to their due income though in reality
neither profession is lucrative except for a few lucky enough to find a
decent market.
Most visual artists I know also have secondary jobs that provide their
primary income ~

--
Bev in Sooke BC (on beautiful Vancouver Island, west coast of Canada)